http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1595 for a list of planned features for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and some features planned for future features AFTER Visual Studio goes out.
* A new Windows Presentation Foundation-based (WPF) text editor
* More “modern,” with more of a WPF look and feel throughout the suite
* Smaller in size (in code and data) than Visual Studio 2008
* More reliable and modular
For some time “later”:
* Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) used for macros, plus other “end-user extensibility” improvements
* The ability to create more add-ins in managed code
* Full WPF shell
* Extensive support for the parallel framework for multicore hardware
Like just about every Microsoft product these days, VS 10 is going to get the Software+Services treatment ....