Wednesday, January 21, 2009

TFS Install Bug with SQL Server Files

Today I setup a server for TFS 2008. I first installed SQL Server. It put the Reporting Services data/log files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data directory. Then I moved these files into the D:\TFSDATA\SQLDATA and D:\TFSDATA\SQLLOG directories on the D: drive and configured SQL Server to use these same directories as the default directories for data/logs. Then I installed TFS 2008 (including WSS). The installer put all the new databases’ data/log files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data directory. Note to Microsoft: That’s what I call a bug. The workaround is simple. I just have to move those files from the folders on C: over to the default folders on D:.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alex -

    I've made sure the product team saw this so we can get it filed as a bug. Thanks for the post.

    Brian Keller
    http://blogs.msdn.com/briankel
    Sr. Technical Evangelist
    Visual Studio Team System

    ReplyDelete